As we start the new year, I thought I’d share some perspective on chosing a church. Many of you are looking for a new “church” as part of the new year and have started the “church shopping experience”. Having moved all over the world several times (we have almost 20 moves under our belts in our 21 years of marriage), we’ve seen a few churches and done a lot of shopping. Here are my recommendations:
- Chose a church that preaches the Gospel – not some raw-raw-cheer-cheer-let’s-all-feel-good-and-pretend-the-world-is-easy-because-we-go-to-_____-church church, but a truly authentic church that focuses on the Gospel.
- Chose a church with a humble pastor – you don’t want a wanna be rock star for a pastor. Get someone who gets people and isn’t worried about what might not look good to the media.
- Chose a church with outstanding kids and student ministry – if the kids are not protected and fed the Gospel on a weekly basis, why are you bringing them? News flash: A Gospel focused student ministry can be FUN!
- Chose a church where you can meet and talk with one or two of the elders impromptu – this shows access and is telling of how they’ll be when you have a crisis.
- Finally, chose a church where you “fit” – no matter what, you have to like the way it feels – worship music, welcoming, warm, etc.
What did I miss? Next week, fitting in at the new church.