Upon returning from my weekend away with my girlfriend, I decided to change my schedule and move my workout to in the morning (running 4 miles). It means 40ish minutes moved to before work. Here’s what I observed by doing this:
- It’s dark: I have to run on the streets – instead of the dirt road in the Everglades
- It’s cooler: I almost had heat stroke a couple weeks ago running in 106 degree temps (that’s heat index heat – actual temp 94 degrees)
- Smoother Days: I’m more focused and alert through the day
- Hitting Snooze matters: 10 extra minutes=20 minutes late for work
- I have less stress in the afternoon/evening, because I have one less thing to do before bed
Overall, I forgot how much I enjoy working out in the mornings. I wish our gym opened by 6 instead of 7, then I could hit the weights. But for now, I need to lose the 7 lbs I have put on this summer and running is the most effective way for me to do that.